Best Replacement hero?

Discuss comics, movies, other games, or anything not really related to Heroclix or Super Heroes at all.

Moderators: Ragdoll, Mysterious Stranger

Best Replacement hero?

Postby MetroForce » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Stole this fromhc realms. most those guys are boners and i'm the only a hole here so it should be semi good.

Dick Grayson or James Buchanan Barnnes?

For me I'd have to look at the build up and then eventual revelation that Cap and the Bats been replaced respectively.

If you look at long term history of course Nightwing is the better hero but you can never truely replace Batman. But Brubaker building Winter soldier up as a cool characterthen topping it off with the cataclysmic death of Captain America with the story/series seemlessly continuing not missing a beat with the rise of Bucky as the new cap, as his own Captain America it was pretty damn good.

As a side I recall the Cap death getting mainstream press with even Quesada appearing on Colbert handing over the Shield to Stephen as a pretty big event in of itself. I didn't even notice a reaction from comic fan boys about Bruce Wayne dying. Though i loved final Crises, it was taken for granted even by Morrison himself with the cave guy at the end carving Bats into the rocks.

Which you like homey?
MetroForce
Super Rare
Super Rare

Re: Best Replacement hero?

Postby depster » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 pm

A few things here...

#1 Bruce Wayne is not dead...he somehow time travelled and ended up in the pre-historic age and his upcoming return will see him go through different eras (pre-historic, pirates, etc...)
#2 Final Crisis itself started off decently but I really did not like the part where Batman confronted Darkseid shot him and got zapped by Darkseid's omega beams...I was left with a "what the...? that was kinda dumb..." feeling...
#3 The reason why Captain America got al the news coverage is that Cap stands for America itself...no other hero can be that patriot. Superman may stand for "Truth and justice the American way" but Cap is the ideal American (even during Civil War -though he was breaking the law by being on the opposite side, his ideals never changed - he believed in freedom and fought for the fact that Super-heroes need not reveal their secret identities for fear that it might end up harming them or loved ones...even though Cap's own identity isn't much of a secret itself...he stood on the side that represented the ideal American way.
#4 His death was sudden...you'd have thought that Cap would die in the battlefield and not while in custody and not by one bullet.
#5 Cap's death (which was very well written) meant something for lots of Marvel heroes...Batman's supposed death was just another "death" in the DC universe.
#6 Even when Steve Rogers returned, Bucky offered him "Captain America" back but he refused
#7 I'm pretty sure that when Bruce Wayne comes back, he'll probably take up the mantle of the bat very quickly.

As for Dick Grayson or Bucky Barnes:

Dick has very similar ideals as Bruce. He has also seen what having no Batman around can do. When he dons the cape and masks...he becomes Batman to ensure Gotham's safety. He is the perfect substitute (the closest that you'll get) for Bruce as Batman...and he must be to maintain order throughout Gotham.

Bucky on the other hand becomes a whole new Captain America...one that uses guns. It's great to see Captain America taken to a whole new different level, one that seems to please the fans. People know that this isn't the same Captain America as before. This is a Captain America that is willing to escalate the fight to whatever is necessary (even using guns).

If you take a comic book reader who knows Batman and Captain America but doesn't read the books regularly..if he picks up a Batman comic where Dick doesn't unmask...the reader would probably still think he is reading an issue with Bruce still as Batman...wheras if he picks up a Captain America comic, he know that Cap is not Steve Rogers. I like Dick as Batman and think that he's probably the better of the 2 heroes. But the writers for Captain America take Bucky to a whole new level!
Rocket Raccoon: His people are entirely literal. Metaphors go right over his head.
Drax the Destroyer: Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are excellent and I would catch it.
----------
Groot: I am Groot.
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Location: Vancouver the Connection on Cambie & Imperial Hobbies in Richmond

Postby MetroForce » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:42 pm

So what your sayin isss.... you piiiiiick...

hrrrm...

Neither ?

Anyone who reads comics knows both histories as well as an idea of what sorta went on Alba but uh, I was posin which you thought was making for a better hero in disguise.

I'm on Cap's side. Fuck skinny Batman
MetroForce
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby depster » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 am

what I'm saying is for original replacement hero...Bucky as Cap would be my choice...

Dick makes a suitable replacement Batman...but when he dons the cape and cowl...he has to become Batman for the sake of villains not knowing that Batman is actually missing in action and that the current Batman isn't the Batman they fear but a replacement...the end game is the same as Bruce's and the method of achieving it is the same.

Bucky as Cap makes no attempt to make Bucky the Cap that the world's come to know over the years but a whole new Cap with different morales as Steve Rogers...the end game might be the same but the method of achieving it is totally different. I love this idea that yes, Captain America is still needed for America but this is a whole new Cap. I think the creative team for Captain America has done a fantastic job on the series.
Rocket Raccoon: His people are entirely literal. Metaphors go right over his head.
Drax the Destroyer: Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are excellent and I would catch it.
----------
Groot: I am Groot.
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Location: Vancouver the Connection on Cambie & Imperial Hobbies in Richmond

Postby DaeRave » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:21 pm

The Cap storyline has been more interesting, IMO.
Plus Dick's kind of a weenie. No pun.

Speaking of Punisher, HE should have replaced Cap. :evil:
Check out my custom Heroclix maps!
http://daerave.deviantart.com/gallery/26560165
DaeRave
Super Rare
Super Rare

Return to Off Topic Discussion