Character creation update

Choose your allegiance and contact DarkestThicket for access to the CAPES forums!

Moderator: DarkestThicket

Character creation update

Postby DarkestThicket » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:09 am

There will be one after Issue 6 at it marks the 2/3 of the way through the campaign. Hopefully I'll have them posted at least halfway between now and the end of August.
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Re: Character creation update

Postby glutton » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:43 pm

I would like to see a vigilante base class, for batman/question/etc/etc type characters. There doesnt seem to be an archtype that supports willpower stealth close combat types yknow what I mean?

There's nothing with a higher movement/higher attack with poor defense. Thinking like a 10/11/15/2 6 range stat cap with stealth, leap climb, smoke cloud, incap, willpower, combat reflexes, outwit, cce, perplex range of powers.
I'm Chet!
glutton
Limited Edition
Limited Edition

Postby LionKingXXVII » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:22 pm

glutton wrote:I would like to see a vigilante base class, for batman/question/etc/etc type characters. There doesnt seem to be an archtype that supports willpower stealth close combat types yknow what I mean?

There's nothing with a higher movement/higher attack with poor defense. Thinking like a 10/11/15/2 6 range stat cap with stealth, leap climb, smoke cloud, incap, willpower, combat reflexes, outwit, cce, perplex range of powers.

Hey, Chet. I propose that you write one up. We will all take a look and maybe, just maybe you can use it in the next Campaign. It'll be awesome. I've already got an idea for my next character. I'm going to pattern the powers after the concept. I'm totally excited!!! :D :D :D
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
"MASTER OF DECEPTION" according to number6
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby glutton » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:12 pm

something like

Vigilante
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 4 :bolt:
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

Stat cap 10/11/15/2 Range 6 :bolt: :bolt:
Primary Stealth, Outwit, Willpower, Smoke Cloud, Incapacitate, Leap/Climb
Secondary Close Combat Expert, Combat Reflexes, Perplex, Charge
Last edited by glutton on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Chet!
glutton
Limited Edition
Limited Edition

Postby LionKingXXVII » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:41 pm

glutton wrote:something like

Vigilante
Range: 4 :bolt:
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

Stat cap 10/11/15/2 Range 6 :bolt: :bolt:
Primary Stealth, Outwit, Willpower, Smoke Cloud, Incapacitate, Leap/Climb
Secondary Close Combat Expert, Combat Reflexes, Perplex, Charge

You sir, have impressed me to no end. Thank you for taking your time and making an effort in bettering a game that we all enjoy. :D :D :D

Now onto the things I see that maybe needs some changing. I like the power set so far...but I think that perhaps Energy Explosion could be added. I'd even ask that smoke cloud be taken out...no one really wants that power anyways, so why not replace it with EE?

As for the stat line I like how it begins, the only thing I would maybe change is the AVs for the middle two clicks...I'd even give the "close combat" gal/guy 9s. They only have 4 clicks! The should be able to hit on all of them. ;)

The stat caps need to be bumped up where the defense is concerned...I want to see 16 defense...honestly 16 is pretty easy to hit...I know the idea was to have a character type that had high attack and low defense. But in the CAPES! rules currently we already have that easy-to-hit defense set at 16 for bricks and I don't believe the new Vigilante needs to be lower than a 16 stat cap. He already doesn't start with it and will likely have to use his BONUS stat boost to bump up the defense on his first click to 16, which in my mind makes it fair for them to be able to achieve a 16 defense. :D :D :D

Hope we get to see this character come to fruition. Once again thanks for putting some effort into this Chet. I love it!!!
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby Tofer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:35 am

LionKingXXVII wrote:The stat caps need to be bumped up where the defense is concerned...I want to see 16 defense...honestly 16 is pretty easy to hit...I know the idea was to have a character type that had high attack and low defense. But in the CAPES! rules currently we already have that easy-to-hit defense set at 16 for bricks and I don't believe the new Vigilante needs to be lower than a 16 stat cap. He already doesn't start with it and will likely have to use his BONUS stat boost to bump up the defense on his first click to 16, which in my mind makes it fair for them to be able to achieve a 16 defense. :D :D :D

I concur - good idea on the archetype, Chet.

I also agree with Leo on the Defense cap boost for the Vigilante. A DEF 15 is pretty easily hit for a CAPES character, failing that for the scenario mooks that take to the map. Even a DEF 16 doesn't look that impressive when there is no damage mitigation power present.
Getting Rich Quick!
Tofer
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby glutton » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:12 pm

ht107 E Batman
Team: Batman Ally
Range: 6 :bolt::bolt:
Archenemy: Joker (Grey)
Keywords: Gotham City, Martial Artist
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

or036 V Question
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Detective
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

hb003 V Abe Sapien
Team: B.P.R.D.
Range: 6 :bolt:
Keywords: BPRD
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

cl2-08 V Black Widow
Team: Ultimates
Keywords: Martial Artist, S.H.I.E.L.D., Spy, Ultimates
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

or214P Batman
Team: Batman Ally
Keywords: Gotham City
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

io015 V Robin
Team: Titans
Keywords: Detective, Martial Artist, Teen, Teen Titans
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

these are the kind of dials I was basing this on

my concern is making something too strong once you factor in overcapping. A 16 might be fine but a 17 with combat reflexes and stealth with an 11 attack 2 damage and stealth might be hard to take.

Smoke cloud is flavour, I dont care if no one uses it.

Before you go off on stats and powers just remember how powerful incap + willpower is. Too long we have played wit our fancy clicks and big damage and forgotten about the niche such creatures have had.
I'm Chet!
glutton
Limited Edition
Limited Edition

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Smoke cloud as primary FOR SURE. At one point a click, this character might consider it, especially with Flash Bang! :)

I think I agree with Chet WRT defense. This archetype has a lot going for it, some of the stongest offensive scores in the game, cheap stealth and only the 2nd archetype with cheap outwit. I think it's a good way to really set it apart from the Martial Artist as well, this template is not really designed to be a tie-up piece. Between Stealth and CR, it can be a pretty tricky figure to pin down even with the 15.
If I had a fish who was missing an eye, I'd name him Fsh.
Mysterious Stranger
Herald of Theovis
Herald of Theovis

Postby LionKingXXVII » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:25 pm

If we are basing this on the ONE CHANCE overcap...we should be okay with the 17 and combat reflexes...if he has combat reflexes and 17 I'm shooting the bastard. If he has stealth he won't have the combat reflexes and I'm punching his face in. Either way we should be able to take down ONE click of 17. At least I'm pretty sure any team could. If you consider the circumstances on the otherside as I have 17 is not insurmountable. :D :D :D
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby glutton » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Range: 6 :bolt: :bolt:
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

Feat: Takedown

see the issue?
I'm Chet!
glutton
Limited Edition
Limited Edition

Postby depster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:13 pm

15 is a little low for Defense especially with only 4 clicks to start...16 with CR I think might be ideal for a Vigilante. 10/11/16 6R 2A stat cap...if someone wants to overcap defense to 17CR then they're sacrificing a click to do it but all it takes is one hit and if bricks have a 12 Attack, 17CR shouldn't be that difficult to hit...
Rocket Raccoon: His people are entirely literal. Metaphors go right over his head.
Drax the Destroyer: Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are excellent and I would catch it.
----------
Groot: I am Groot.
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Location: Vancouver the Connection on Cambie & Imperial Hobbies in Richmond

Postby DarkestThicket » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Unless everyone picked Martial Artist instead of Brick :)
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby LionKingXXVII » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:56 pm

glutton wrote:Team: No Affiliation
Range: 6 :bolt: :bolt:
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO
KO

Feat: Takedown

see the issue?

I do...but plenty of archetypes can be BROKEN already in that EXACT same way. We can choose to break them or not...I choose not to. Therefore it's still fun. If we are looking for all the BORKEN stuff then it will cease to be fun. If you look into it just about every class we have can be broken in some way. ;)

But if you like the 15 defense and only one click of over-capped 16 defense I'm down. :D :D :D
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby glutton » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 pm

d'epster wrote:15 is a little low for Defense especially with only 4 clicks to start...16 with CR I think might be ideal for a Vigilante. 10/11/16 6R 2A stat cap...if someone wants to overcap defense to 17CR then they're sacrificing a click to do it but all it takes is one hit and if bricks have a 12 Attack, 17CR shouldn't be that difficult to hit...

Im the only guy with a 12, and I picked it mostly to bust up the mook teams with all the zany 18+ defenses. Most everyone else has 9-10. Remember, there are going to be a ton of classes that can only move up to a stealthed guy then hit him later, enabling it to get the first shot, with outwit and a good attack to make it stick. How many people can hit a 19 or even an 18 on their second click? I can see why John shied away from stealth. Personally when I was suggesting this I was hoping I made a click that has a foil: the speedster, as the dont seem to be the foil of many archtypes so far.
I'm Chet!
glutton
Limited Edition
Limited Edition

Postby Tofer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:25 pm

glutton wrote:I can see why John shied away from stealth. Personally when I was suggesting this I was hoping I made a click that has a foil: the speedster, as the dont seem to be the foil of many archtypes so far.

Because up until today, the Speedster capped-out at 1 Damage; it's hard to be threatening when you can bounce in and away again, only to have a 1/2/3 point damage reducer kill all your chances of doing damage.
Getting Rich Quick!
Tofer
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby glutton » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:44 pm

"until today"?
I'm Chet!
glutton
Limited Edition
Limited Edition

Postby LionKingXXVII » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:08 pm

glutton wrote:"until today"?

Maybe there was a character update? Or maybe he meant that he has since broke his damage cap and now has a 2 damage. I fear the speedster with 2 damage. I like it!!! Up until now Avarice has been junk.
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby DarkestThicket » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah no we're working on things in R&D and I suspect that Speedsters will be capped at 2 from now on.
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby LionKingXXVII » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:51 pm

I just need to say this ONCE more...Until now, AVARICE HAS BEEN JUNK!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby Tofer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:38 pm

LionKingXXVII wrote:I just need to say this ONCE more...Until now, AVARICE HAS BEEN JUNK!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure Avarice has gotten more PC & NPC KOs than the Wabbit... and been KO'd fewer times, to boot.
Getting Rich Quick!
Tofer
Super Rare
Super Rare

Next

Return to CAPES!