Feats

Choose your allegiance and contact DarkestThicket for access to the CAPES forums!

Moderator: DarkestThicket

Feats

Postby DarkestThicket » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:01 am

There've been some suggestions that feats should be purchased not with sacrificing clicks but with bp=point cost. Thoughts?
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Re: Feats

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 am

DarkestThicket wrote:There've been some discussions in the heroes forum regarding feats. Suggestions that feats should be purchased not with sacrificing clicks but with bp=point cost. Thoughts?

bp=point cost would be way too expensive, but I agree that feats are worth more than a click of life.

What's a feat worth, roughly? Some comparisons:
- A click of an expensive class power is 5 bp
- A click of a medium out-of-class power is 6 bp
- A full dial of a cheap-ass class power is like 5-10 clicks, depending on your dial size

It may be that the HC point cost is not super relevant, and that all (decent) feats provide roughly the same utility in a Snowman environment, so maybe a simple fixed cost? Or a cost conversion (x0.5, x0.25, I dunno) would price feats as per their Heroclix value.
If I had a fish who was missing an eye, I'd name him Fsh.
Mysterious Stranger
Herald of Theovis
Herald of Theovis

Postby radone » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:23 am

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
DarkestThicket wrote:There've been some discussions in the heroes forum regarding feats. Suggestions that feats should be purchased not with sacrificing clicks but with bp=point cost. Thoughts?

bp=point cost would be way too expensive, but I agree that feats are worth more than a click of life.

What's a feat worth, roughly? Some comparisons:
- A click of an expensive class power is 5 bp
- A click of a medium out-of-class power is 6 bp
- A full dial of a cheap-ass class power is like 5-10 clicks, depending on your dial size

It may be that the HC point cost is not super relevant, and that all (decent) feats provide roughly the same utility in a Snowman environment, so maybe a simple fixed cost? Or a cost conversion (x0.5, x0.25, I dunno) would price feats as per their Heroclix value.

I think about a 1/3 the cost in BP for the feat. This would make Fortitude about 9 points and since feats can be outwitted seems pretty balanced. Protected would cost 3pts. Some of the lesser feats would only cost 2 pts.
Thursday's at the Connection on Renfrew 6pm
radone
Unique
Unique

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:24 am

There's also the limitation of Research.
If I had a fish who was missing an eye, I'd name him Fsh.
Mysterious Stranger
Herald of Theovis
Herald of Theovis

Postby LionKingXXVII » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:38 am

Rob's suggestion of 1/3 is good. Theo's of 1/2 or 1/4 are also good.
I think maybe whatever we decide we should also think about costing FEATS on a scale. Based on the number of FEATS a character has already. If we are playtesting right now that should be though about along with the actual COST of purchasing a FEAT, just to round out the whole FEATS section of the rules. :wink:

What I am suggesting is that we go with 50% cost for the 1st FEAT, 100% for the 2nd FEAT, then 200% for the 3rd....and so on. I think this will definitely hold the maximum number of feats on one character at around 3 feats by campaigns end. That's already REALLY ridiculously overpowered. So I don't think anyone will complain...and also it will allow those who are super power HUNGRY (no pun intended) to get all the feats they dreamt of. :D :D :D

Thoughts?
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
"MASTER OF DECEPTION" according to number6
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby Joebarnes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Personally I'm for NO FEATS. But that's just me. I think they ruin the game (definitely in a tournament setting), but this ain't a tourney; it's just for fun. So if I'm voting for fun, I'll say no FEATS. Of course, I'm probably in the minority here, so I guess I'll have to start familiarizing myself with the cards now...
JOHNNY HOT-FISTS! Be careful with those things!!
Joebarnes
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LionKingXXVII » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Joebarnes wrote:Personally I'm for NO FEATS. But that's just me. I think they ruin the game (definitely in a tournament setting), but this ain't a tourney; it's just for fun. So if I'm voting for fun, I'll say no FEATS. Of course, I'm probably in the minority here, so I guess I'll have to start familiarizing myself with the cards now...

Don't worry too much about it Ryan. I think even if we get all the way to the end most people will NOT have a feat for their character. Also, IF they do, they will likely have no more than one or two feats. I totally think that your english language skills are up to snuff so that you can read them the day of and be able to comprehend what they do. :wink:
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby Joebarnes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Me no Englerishy so good!
JOHNNY HOT-FISTS! Be careful with those things!!
Joebarnes
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tofer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 pm

LionKingXXVII wrote:Don't worry too much about it Ryan. I think even if we get all the way to the end most people will NOT have a feat for their character. Also, IF they do, they will likely have no more than one or two feats. I totally think that your english language skills are up to snuff so that you can read them the day of and be able to comprehend what they do. :wink:

Besides, you won't need the cards themselves; I imagine there is a comprehensive list at the HCRealms to keep you up to date. To that end, I suggest that feat purchases be made known in the faction-neutral section of the campaign forum and that, like the powers currently showing on a character's dial, the feat be clearly visible to all at the table, or available on request.
Getting Rich Quick!
Tofer
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby switch21 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 pm

What are the ways that we can use/purchase feats then?
BP? Income? Research???
Do we sacrifice a click to add a feat?

What if we want to "return" a feat at a later date and/or retcon the dial of the character so the feat is unusable?

Yay CAPES!
I lay awake thinking of how to design my dial....
and have started my first real mod (now I need some painting help)
Dwayne Johnson 2020 - I'm in.
switch21
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby LionKingXXVII » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am

switch21 wrote:Yay CAPES!
I lay awake thinking of how to design my dial....
and have started my first real mod (now I need some painting help)

Amen to that bruther. I too think about the game all the time...I am currently on my 10th, or 11th iteration of my dial for FBR. It's soooo damn good!!! :D :D :D
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby DarkestThicket » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:17 pm

To purchase a feat you need 3 points of research. Research is either earned through holding a research territory and gaining it's point at the end of a campaign day or if your faction controls a research territory and you have personal income you can spend it as though it were research.

Once you have acquired the 3 points of research choose a feat and (tentativly) pay 1/3 it's printed cost in BPs.
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Return to CAPES!