Rules clarification: Leadership and Minions

Choose your allegiance and contact DarkestThicket for access to the CAPES forums!

Moderator: DarkestThicket

Re: Rules clarification: Leadership and Minions

Postby DarkestThicket » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am

Also as I was processing a file I was thinking that I should amend the rules so that when a Leader is initially purchasing their minion that it should start with an equal amount of clicks as the Leader puchases leadership on. This means however that the leader could potentially start with 8 clicks of life (four on their minion and four on them), this would be potentially offset by the fact that if the leader is punked than the minion takes off.

Thoughts for this amendment for the next Capes campaign?
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 am

No, that's ridiculous. If you want Henchmen to be that awesome, leaders need to be more gimpy. :)
If I had a fish who was missing an eye, I'd name him Fsh.
Mysterious Stranger
Herald of Theovis
Herald of Theovis

Postby DarkestThicket » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:13 am

Bump Leadership up a bracket or two for the next campaign? If we even put it up to Medium Leaders would spend 2 per click and if they were just starting and wanted to buy the (potential) 4 click minion would mean they only have 7 points left over to spend thus only acquiring one High primary or potentially two powers one for them and one for their minion.
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:23 am

...people that have purchased it up to this point will be keeping it...try to keep it thematic...

That's impossible to enforce, veteran players are extremely skilled at making compelling rationalizations. Theme is not in any way a balancing factor unless you plan to adjudicate it. :)

Also, I agree with Leo and others: I think you need to reserve the right to enforce changes on the fly, otherwise you're punishing people who didn't observe or take advantage of the opportunity. It means that the smartest strategy is to do the most abusive thing as soon as possible so that you get to keep it. Give people the option to re-spec. I'm persuaded of the wisdom that we are all committed to the "playtest" format of the campaign.
Mysterious Stranger
Herald of Theovis
Herald of Theovis

Postby DarkestThicket » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 am

Yeah, I think no detrimental re-specing is no problem. Ignore the service charge for now if you're making power changes and feel free to correct stats as well. I've already given Switch permission to respec as he was a little overprepared with his 12 range right off the bat.
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 am

Also, let me say that I LOVE the idea of Sidekicks, I think it was very inspired. Whether it's Hotfists or the Phantasmal Carrots or Frisbee Lad, it's a very cool addition to this style of game. I just feel that it to be balanced, both in isolation and as a perk for Leaders/Masterminds, and so people need to be flexible about this.

With a Henchman archetype, you could offer a limited power set, and so you wouldn't be giving people access to a whole other archetypes suite of powers.
Mysterious Stranger
Herald of Theovis
Herald of Theovis

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:40 am

DarkestThicket wrote:Yeah, I think no detrimental re-specing is no problem. Ignore the service charge for now if you're making power changes and feel free to correct stats as well.

Not only does that help to keep people from accidentally gimping themselves, but there's also a lot of precedent in both Heroclix and comics for dramatic changes to characters. Also, it makes characters more equivalent - you aren't taxed for changing your mind, or for not thinking 5 weeks ahead for development.

I'd suggest that for simplicity's sake, respecs are only between issues, since they could be prone to a lot of errors when rushing to update between maps. :D
Mysterious Stranger
Herald of Theovis
Herald of Theovis

Postby DarkestThicket » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 pm

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
DarkestThicket wrote:Yeah, I think no detrimental re-specing is no problem. Ignore the service charge for now if you're making power changes and feel free to correct stats as well.

Not only does that help to keep people from accidentally gimping themselves, but there's also a lot of precedent in both Heroclix and comics for dramatic changes to characters. Also, it makes characters more equivalent - you aren't taxed for changing your mind, or for not thinking 5 weeks ahead for development.

I'd suggest that for simplicity's sake, respecs are only between issues, since they could be prone to a lot of errors when rushing to update between maps. :D

Make it so!
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby DarkestThicket » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:14 pm

In addition pogs are acquired other ways as both heroes and villains will soon be aware of. I'll let you boost them as well so even if your leadership now no longer supports your pog you can use the given pog as a Henchman.
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby LionKingXXVII » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:27 pm

DarkestThicket wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:I'm inclined to agree with Leo. I think if something isn't done about Henchmen, we'll be seeing a lot more of them, they're so good it's almost idiotic not to buy one. To be honest, Jon Snow had fantasizing about playing a Leader back when we were first discussing Snowman Heroclix, so it's not surprising that it's an awesome archetype with it's own house rules. :D

We priced Leadership very cheap based on Heroclix rules, but the house-ruled version is crazy awesome, there's nothing for 1/2/3 that is remotely as good. (Personally, I think purchasing minions should be separate from purchasing Leadership anyway since it's a "full dial" benefit for the purchase of a single click.)

It's true I also had some jonesing for the Shapeshifters and wanted to do something similar to a crossroads character where you could change and flip your card and have different powers. Theo convinced me it would be too complicated.

If there is a retcon on the leadership pog the people that have purchased it up to this point will be keeping it (please don't take this as a "holy crap it might be going away I'ma get it" and try to keep it thematic.

HOLY CRAP!!! I'm going to get one before they're all gone!!! :P :P :P

DING! 1,000 POSTS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hey radone, I'm radtwo!
Don = "CHEESE"
Tofer = "IGNANT"
number6 = EVIL...
"MASTER OF DECEPTION" according to number6
LionKingXXVII
Promo
Promo

Postby DarkestThicket » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am