Electro, is the ruling wrong?

Team builds, combos, how to beat Rob, how to beat Ishi, etc.

Moderators: Mysterious Stranger, radone

Electro, is the ruling wrong?

Postby RATM » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:22 am

So this is the new Electro power:

ARC LIGHTNING: Give Electro a power action and make a ranged combat attack against a single target using his printed damage value. Each time he hits, after actions resolve, he may then make a ranged combat attack as a free action against another single target as if he occupied the previously hit character's square, replacing his range value with his printed range value minus the number of hits he has made this turn with this power.

Apparently on HCR an Orange Moderator has ruled that after the first attack you can ignore the printed Damage value and modify every subsequent attack. I believe this is not the intent of the wording.

What say you all?
RATM
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Electro, is the ruling wrong?

Postby DarkestThicket » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:03 am

I think they should have worded this power as "Give him a power action, for this action Electro's damage value is locked at it's printed value."

Based on the wording as it is now it looks like the printed damage value only lasts for the first ranged attack since the action that caused it to be used is resolved, which is probably not what they want it to be since one could perp his damage three times and then the first hit is 3 but each subsequent hit is 6.
DarkestThicket
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby rancidtwinkie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Agreed.
Sounds like the moderator was going strictly by the wording and not using any judgement as to the intent.

Using Sharpshooter, Electro could potentially hit 7 total targets and inflict 21 clicks of damage (not including critical or knockback damage) if we consider the damage locked for all attacks.

Allowing it to be modified on subsequent attacks, would bring that number up to 39! With a maximum potential of about 50, if you were to pinball targets off buildings with crits!!
Also, by opening modifiers to the damage on subsequent attacks, it raises other questions. Does Enhance work if it is adjacent to Electro, or must the figure with Enhance be next to the previous target?

Soul Gem anyone?
Soylent Green ist menschenfleisch!
rancidtwinkie
Marquee Prize
Marquee Prize

Postby radone » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I beleive the intent of Electro is to have his damage value locked the entire time. As for the Enhance or Hydra TA they would need to be adjacent to Electro not the most recent target.
Thursday's at the Connection on Renfrew 6pm
radone
Unique
Unique

Postby switch21 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 pm

To be clear, I will always be ruling it as a locked value.
Dwayne Johnson 2020 - I'm in.
switch21
Super Rare
Super Rare

Return to Strategy