Theme Team Prob Control

Team builds, combos, how to beat Rob, how to beat Ishi, etc.

Moderators: Mysterious Stranger, radone

Theme Team Prob Control

Postby depster » Fri May 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Here's a question about theme team prob control...cause I've been to a few different venues that's ruled them differently. When using a theme team prob control, can you assign a non-free action (like an attack action) to a figure that's just been given an action token for the theme team prob? - in the same round? - thus giving the figure a second action token in the same round...
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Location: Vancouver the Connection on Cambie & Imperial Hobbies in Richmond

Postby rancidtwinkie » Fri May 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Page 6 of the Rule Book wrote:For each three characters on a themed team, a themed team may use
Probability Control once during the game; place an action token on the
character using Probability Control. The token may not be placed on a
character currently taking an action, or a character that already has two
action tokens.

Nothing prevents a figure from taking an action after a Theme Re-Roll.
Soylent Green ist menschenfleisch!
rancidtwinkie
Marquee Prize
Marquee Prize

Postby radone » Fri May 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Evan is correct but to expand on it. If you give an action to a character they cannot use the theme prob afterwards. This is any action including free actions. Free actions include but not exclusive to Leadership, Outwit, Perplex, Supermans leading the charge, and many more I can't think of currently
Thursday's at the Connection on Renfrew 6pm
radone
Unique
Unique

Postby donveersingh » Fri May 02, 2008 4:11 pm

I had a question as a judge a while ago. If your Spectre attacks your opponent's Robin and Robin uses a Theme team prob to make him reroll when does the token get applied? If he already had a token and it causes a push, should that new click be used in defence? I ruled that the token would be applied and the push would happen after the resolution of the attack, but it is unclear.

Also, the rule books do not state explicitly when the token gets applied for any normal action. They imply that the token gets applied at the end of the action but many players put the token on before the action which makes me think that they have pushed their fig but they say that they placed it before.
Donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

\liil liil/
donveersingh
Masterpiece
Masterpiece

Postby madnettie » Fri May 02, 2008 4:50 pm

I haven't seen anything official, but I believe it should occur immediately. Robin's free action would end in the middle of the other player's action and thus should give him the push right away.
madnettie
Unique
Unique

Postby radone » Fri May 02, 2008 8:28 pm

The push happens at the end of the action. Token placement is right away and in theory should affect things like shell head. I am not 100% sure on this but it would fall in line with the precedent set by the Back Alley Brawl prob control issue.
radone
Unique
Unique

Postby depster » Sat May 03, 2008 1:02 am

radone wrote:Evan is correct but to expand on it. If you give an action to a character they cannot use the theme prob afterwards. This is any action including free actions. Free actions include but not exclusive to Leadership, Outwit, Perplex, Supermans leading the charge, and many more I can't think of currently

so if the figure in question uses normal prob control as a free action, then it could not use the team theme re-roll afterwards.
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby rancidtwinkie » Sat May 03, 2008 9:16 am

d'epster wrote:so if the figure in question uses normal prob control as a free action, then it could not use the team theme re-roll afterwards.

It could go either way.
Soylent Green ist menschenfleisch!
rancidtwinkie
Marquee Prize
Marquee Prize

Postby depster » Sat May 03, 2008 9:18 am

rancidtwinkie wrote:
d'epster wrote:so if the figure in question uses normal prob control as a free action, then it could not use the team theme re-roll afterwards.

It could go either way.

but if prob is a free action, and theme re-rolls cannot follow actions on a single figure, wouldn't that be against the rule?
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby madnettie » Sat May 03, 2008 10:39 am

d'epster wrote:
rancidtwinkie wrote:

It could go either way.

but if prob is a free action, and theme re-rolls cannot follow actions on a single figure, wouldn't that be against the rule?

The re-roll cannot be done during an action of the same character.

IE: Destiny is attacked, and is part of a theme team. She uses her Prob. The attack still hits. Her action is now over (technically). She may now use the Theme Prob.

Again this has not been FAQ'd or anything yet. This is just my interpretation.
madnettie
Unique
Unique

Postby depster » Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 pm

madnettie wrote:
d'epster wrote:
rancidtwinkie wrote:

It could go either way.

The re-roll cannot be done during an action of the same character.

IE: Destiny is attacked, and is part of a theme team. She uses her Prob. The attack still hits. Her action is now over (technically). She may now use the Theme Prob.

Again this has not been FAQ'd or anything yet. This is just my interpretation.

if that is true then could anyone please explain Rob's interpretation that team theme prob could not be used after a free action by the same character?
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby switch21 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Probability Control is not a free action. It's not an action at all. It's simply a power enabling a re-roll of the dice. Therefore, someone could use their own PC on a defense roll (for example) and then use the Theme Prob on the next roll, taking the token.

Prob Control is not the same as Outwit, perplex...
Dwayne Johnson 2020 - I'm in.
switch21
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby radone » Sun May 04, 2008 1:25 am

switch21 wrote:Probability Control is not a free action. It's not an action at all. It's simply a power enabling a re-roll of the dice. Therefore, someone could use their own PC on a defense roll (for example) and then use the Theme Prob on the next roll, taking the token.

Exactly.
radone
Unique
Unique

Postby depster » Sun May 04, 2008 3:21 pm

radone wrote:
switch21 wrote:Probability Control is not a free action. It's not an action at all. It's simply a power enabling a re-roll of the dice. Therefore, someone could use their own PC on a defense roll (for example) and then use the Theme Prob on the next roll, taking the token.

Exactly.

I see...is there any other power that is like prob control?
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby radone » Sun May 04, 2008 3:58 pm

d'epster wrote:
radone wrote:

Exactly.

Not sure what you mean by this. As in a power that is not activated by giving an action or something that lets you re-roll?
radone
Unique
Unique

Postby depster » Sun May 04, 2008 4:02 pm

radone wrote:
d'epster wrote:
radone wrote:

Exactly.

Not sure what you mean by this. As in a power that is not activated by giving an action or something that lets you re-roll?

I mean a power that just enables and is not considered an action free or otherwise...
depster
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby radone » Sun May 04, 2008 5:41 pm

d'epster wrote:
radone wrote:
d'epster wrote:
radone wrote:

Exactly.

I mean a power that just enables and is not considered an action free or otherwise...
Hmm..I don't think that there are that many. Pretty much any damage reducer, Super senses, Enhancement, Shape Change, Switching Team Abilities on a Wildcard,plasticity (not when moving though).That is all I can think of without going into special powers.
radone
Unique
Unique

Return to Strategy