Warbound Feat

Team builds, combos, how to beat Rob, how to beat Ishi, etc.

Moderators: Mysterious Stranger, radone

Warbound Feat

Postby switch21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:55 am

Have any of you used this in a friendly yet? It's tournament legal this week and I think we might start seeing it alot.

As it's written, A can take an action, passing the token to B.
Turn 2, A takes an action and the token, B clears.
Turn 3, A takes an action, passing the token to B, A clears token from turn 2 (even though A acted this turn!).

This means "A" can act every single turn, as long as B never takes its own action (i.e.- takes warbound token, then clears next turn). Wow.

http://forum.wizkidsgames.com/showthread.php?t=174171
and
http://forum.wizkidsgames.com/showthread.php?t=174115

It'll be important to make sure at the start of tourneys this weekend that players know how this card works so they don't get screwed, or upset. :P

Figs must be adjacent at the declaration of the action, not the end.
Fig taking the token must be AT LEAST 50% of the acting figs points.
Fig taking the token must be clear of tokens.

As said earlier, I think we're going to see this card alot. whew...
Last edited by switch21 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwayne Johnson 2020 - I'm in.
switch21
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby rancidtwinkie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Not quite correct.

A figure clears if it has not been given a token that turn, it is not based upon taking actions.

1: A takes an action and takes a token.
2: A takes an action and give B the token. A clears.
Repeat.
Soylent Green ist menschenfleisch!
rancidtwinkie
Marquee Prize
Marquee Prize

Postby switch21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:20 pm

That's what I said :shock:

The only difference with your example is that you had the "A" character take the token first turn instead of passing it on, and then clearing on turn 2.

Yeah, I still think it's a crazy powerful card.
switch21
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby rancidtwinkie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm

:oops:
Soylent Green ist menschenfleisch!
rancidtwinkie
Marquee Prize
Marquee Prize

Postby mothman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Yes,

And switch 21's example is better.He could have his main hitter attack someone on turn1,and not have any tokens,so that if he also had protected he could just use that if he was nailed in retaliation,and not even take push damage!

I already played this at Pow,and it was broken! I messed up slightly and was giving tokens to guys who had tokens,but i also wasn't clearing the token off of the person who was giving tokens to others,so it I can't say it was tested absolutely correct.

But I think if played correctly it's still going to be broken!
mothman
Unique
Unique

Postby number6 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:33 pm

There is no doubt, this Card is borken as worded. Unless the Judges Forum FAQs it in some way, a primary Keyworded attacker can mop the floor up using this card....it's scary.

The ONLY mitigating factor might be that a figure taking an action CAN'T give it to a figure that is carried or is inellible to receive an Tokenable Action (anything but a free action).

So maybe it is "When a target friendly character assigned this feat is given a tokenable action, as a free action it may pass the token to any adjacent friendly character that has the chosen Keyword and is elligible to make a tokenable action, has zero action tokens, and has a point value equal to at least half of the target's point value."
number6
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby switch21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:49 pm

On the judges' forums, one of the examples used for a correct use of Warbound actually involved a taxi giving the token to the carried figure... it's a totally legal way to use it.

So I still think it's a powerful (too powerful) card.
switch21
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby donveersingh » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:09 am

number6 wrote:There is no doubt, this Card is borken as worded. Unless the Judges Forum FAQs it in some way, a primary Keyworded attacker can mop the floor up using this card....it's scary.

The ONLY mitigating factor might be that a figure taking an action CAN'T give it to a figure that is carried or is inellible to receive an Tokenable Action (anything but a free action).

So maybe it is "When a target friendly character assigned this feat is given a tokenable action, as a free action it may pass the token to any adjacent friendly character that has the chosen Keyword and is elligible to make a tokenable action, has zero action tokens, and has a point value equal to at least half of the target's point value."

Don't forget that NAAT is No Action After Taxi. That means that a character that was taxied may not be given an action after the move action. Warbound is not applied after the action, it is part of the action and during the resolution of said action, the token gets placed.
Donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

\liil liil/
donveersingh
Masterpiece
Masterpiece

Postby radone » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:46 pm

donveersingh wrote:
number6 wrote:There is no doubt, this Card is borken as worded. Unless the Judges Forum FAQs it in some way, a primary Keyworded attacker can mop the floor up using this card....it's scary.

Don't forget that NAAT is No Action After Taxi. That means that a character that was taxied may not be given an action after the move action. Warbound is not applied after the action, it is part of the action and during the resolution of said action, the token gets placed.

To clarify it is placed when the action is given (at the beginning)
Thursday's at the Connection on Renfrew 6pm
radone
Unique
Unique

Postby number6 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 pm

Upon re-reading the card, all of these rulings make sense :( :(

So really the main mitigating factor is the Keyword availbility...which isn't to my personal liking.
The other one being the 5 points per figure, which if previous similar Feats are examples it is can get rather pricey unless you built based on a tent pole team orientation.
I guess we shall see how it all works out.
number6
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby Atomic Fire » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 pm

Can't you just Thwart the damn card and lay waste? I mean if I've 2 possiblely 3 guys with thwart and your whole plan is the Warbound feat, aren't you kinda screwed?

Just asking. :?
Atomic Fire
Mail-Away LE
Mail-Away LE

Postby lorenz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:07 am

Atomic Fire wrote:Can't you just Thwart the damn card and lay waste? I mean if I've 2 possiblely 3 guys with thwart and your whole plan is the Warbound feat, aren't you kinda screwed?

Just asking. :?

except any of the characters with warbound assigned can clear the thwart token. so thats not really much of a threat if figure C in the back row can clear it as fast as you place it.
lorenz
Veteran
Veteran

Postby switch21 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 am

And if it's been suggested that warbound at 5 pts per character is expensive, would you really dedicate 30-45 pts of your build to thwart alone? That sounds expensive to me...especially when you run up against un-feated teams...

Warbound's a monster.
Last edited by switch21 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
switch21
Super Rare
Super Rare

Postby radone » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:05 am

Warbound definitly has its uses but isn't something needed on all teams. You are probably better off having it assigned to a sub keyword on your team as oppose to the whole team.
Thursday's at the Connection on Renfrew 6pm
radone
Unique
Unique

Return to Strategy